[WikiEN-l] Copyright?

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:11:54 UTC 2006

On 5/10/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Assume good faith" ignores one important fact: people lie.

Or are wrong for a variety of other reasons (ignorance, accident,
confusion, translation issues, etc.). One can still assume good faith
and also assume that people are, well, people. "Assume good faith"
doesn't mean "be unskeptical." It just means, "don't assume
maliciousness" -- it doesn't mean "assume they are correct."

In copyright issues I assume first that the user does not understand
our copyright policy or copyrights in general. After that, I move into
the realm of "...and maybe they don't care." After that, I move into,
"well, whatever the case, they're doing the wrong thing and that won't
do." In rare cases do I suspect people of being legitimately malicious
in their actions (though there have been more than a handful of that,
of course).

FF