[WikiEN-l] We need a policy to deal with new policies

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 5 17:12:50 UTC 2006

Amen.

Process is important. However, the fallacy is to assume any of the following:

1. Process is not less important than product.
2. Process is good, so more process is better.  <-- this is a bad one
3. Process is good, so we should not proceed without making process
along the way.
4. If a process exists, it must be followed because it's a process.

The fallacious elements of these are:

1. Process is important, but the product is more important. "We're
here to write an encyclopedia."
2. Process is good, but more process is *BAD*. Process grows like
bindweed and must be culled regularly. Anyone who says "process is
important" must read and understand [[m:Instruction creep]].
3. Grey areas exist; the human brain exists to deal with them. You
can't Taylorise clue.
4. Processes are frequently written up to try to win at wikinomic.
This is part of how process grows like bindweed.

Process is important. It is also dangerous, and must be kept strictly
under control and rebuilt regularly. AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO WRITE UP
A PROCESS FOR THAT.

- d.