[WikiEN-l] Cyde should not have violated Deletion policy (

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:57:48 UTC 2006

John Tex wrote:
> On 5/3/06, wikien-l-request at wikipedia.org
>
>> From: Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Cyde should not have violated Deletion policy
>>         (Johntex)
>> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
>>

>> I didn't "close" the debate so much as I "canceled" it.  My "vote", as
>> you mention, was to cancel it ... and then a minute after that I
>> realized I could go through with what I said should be done.
>

> Unfortunately, this misses the point.  Whether you called it a "closure" or
> "cancellation" or a "stoppage" or whatever.  You halted the process that a
> lot of people were contributing to.

The process was /wrong/.

>  They had a right to be heard.

Wikipedia is NOT a democracy; the First Ammendment of the Constitution
of the United States only guarantees "free speech" against intervention
by Congress. Wikipedia is a private website where you have exactly TWO
rights:

* The right to leave
* The right to fork

> This wastes a lot of time and looks like bad behavior for an admin to
> kill an AfD early, especially one he has been involved in.

It looks a hell of a lot like using common sense.