[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 4 03:46:34 UTC 2006

G'day Steve,

> On 03/05/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > As for "an article with no claim to notability", I actually have no
> > idea what that phrase means.
>
> An article has to establish the notability of its subject. If it
> doesn't do that, it's subject to speedy deletion.
>
> ...I recite.

No, it has to *assert* the notability of its subject.  When clearing up CAT:CSD I see a lot of speedy taggings where the tagger simply figured "sure, there's an assertion of notability there, but I don't think it's good enough".  Wrong.

The question of whether an article establishes notability is not one that can, or should, be answered by a single admin working very very fast to delete as much stuff as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately there are a few admins who seem to think "well, it's tagged for speedy, who am I to judge?  That would be elitist."  Oh, and let's not forget the non-admin CVUers who encourage that view ...

<snip/>

Cheers,

--
MarkGallagher