[WikiEN-l] Cruft

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Tue May 2 21:31:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:16:32 +0100, you wrote:

>One comment I'd like to make on this is that an essay is not a good
>reason to propose articles for deletion.  In particular, while some
>poorly defined lists tend to be deleted, there is no consensus that
>lists *per se* are deletable.

Indeed.  The listcruft essay is a reasonable and quite calm discourse
to explain to those whose pet list article has been nominated, why it
might be considered unencyclopaedic by some.  The problem is not with
the term listcruft, or with its definition, but with the necessarily
arbitrary definition of what constitutes listcruft.  Which is no
different from the problem of any other content of debatable
encyclopaedic merit, which problem is of course the reason why we
require a supermajority to delete.  One man's list of arbitrary
fictional objects selected by arbitrary criteria and sorted by other
arbitrary criteria is another man's fascinating list of seen-once Star
Trek sacrificial red shirt actors sorted by date of appearance.  And
who's to say who's right?

Vive la difference!
Guy (JzG)
--