[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:30:49 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Ilmari Karonen <nospam at vyznev.net> wrote:
> However irritating this might seem to the person who is told that, this
> can in fact be quite reasonable advice.  The subtext is often "We don't
> know enough about you to tell if you'd be a good admin.  If you're still
> interested and haven't gone off the deep end in the meanwhile, try again
> in a few months."  Or simply "I don't think you're experienced enough
> yet.  Try again when you've been around longer."  Or possibly both.

Do people know me? Probably not. Even though I've edited a fair few
policy articles, I don't go out of my way to become "known". And I'm
not sure that egos are good for adminning.

> sock.  The six months or so between the two events served not only to
> familiarize me with Wikipedia, but also to provide other users with some
> confidence that I wasn't going to go on a vandalism spree as soon as I
> got my admin buttons.

The chance that anyone will go on a "vandalism spree" with admin
rights is vanishingly small. And if they did, they can be  quickly
desysopped before they've done any real damage (as I understand it).
Is this really what the whole RfA charade is about? Protecting
ourselves against users with 1500 edits who might suddenly,
inexplicably turn into vandals the instant they're given admin rights?
Sounds fishy to me.

To be honest, the more we proclaim that adminship is "no big deal", or
"not a badge" or "not prestigious" or a "reward for good editing", the
more I suspect that all those things are true. Hell, the word
"promote" is even used on the "failed RfAs" page.

Steve