[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 31 13:54:36 UTC 2006

"David Alexander Russell" wrote

> Perhaps if Arbcom was more willing to
> desysop admins who annoy the community, that would solve the problem.

We are certainly willing to de-sysop those who annoy us.  Not the same thing
of course.  But I think it would be a bad thing if admins went in fear of
vocal minorities, who claim on occasion to speak for 'the community'.

I suspect that as time goes on a small proportion of admins will have their
mops and buckets retired.  This currently only happens in egregious cases of
forfeit of confidence.  The admin group is now very large.  There is
probably 1% or so who attract attention for their _recurrent_ questionable
use of the powers.  Mistakes are made, more widely than that, but it's part
of the ArbCom's mission to be rather sparing in the use of its powers, and
honest errors are part of life in a volunteer organisation.

Charles