[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 12:57:08 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/31/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >    * if the nominee is "generally a known and trusted member of the community".
> >
> > And this is where the attempt to rule lawer from outdated policy
> > breaks down. You can count the number of people generally know to the
> > current wikipedia community one hand. Thus we have to accept that
> > either there should be almost no new admins or that policy is failing
> > to describe wikipedia practice and needs to be rewriten.
>
> Tyrenius's interpretation of this rule seems to be that amongst those
> who have had contact with him, he is respected and trusted. Is that
> fair enough?

Since we are aparently following the hard wording of the rules no.

> I would actually argue that the number of people generally known to
> the community can be counted on one thumb, and some comments in the
> userbox controversy cast doubt on that.

We do have [[Category:Notable_Wikipedians]].

The regular RFAr votes probably know each other (myself I try to avoid
voteing there for a number of reasons includeing spaming of my talk
page)

> I think my biggest complaint with all this is that, as happens so
> often, when people are asked to make quick fire judgments about
> something big and complicated, they resort very quickly to judging
> form or statistics. My own nomination was unanimously opposed because
> I hadn't included an introductory nomination statement. You see a lot
> of comments that "edit summaries too low", for people with 90% or more
> edit summary in major edits, or "not enough edits", for people with
> more than 2000.

Heh last time I was there I a fair number of the oppose votes came
from people who said I should have held a policy debate first.

There is no way to prevent people from makeing snap judgements so at
best we can hope to make sure those judements are as good as posible

> And the worst is "come back later, might support you then". Not
> because the candidate is in any way actually deficient as an admin,
> but they simply haven't served an unwritten waiting period.
>
> </rant>
>
> Steve

It does take time to learn how wikipedia works (I'm not still totaly
certian on range blocks although I have used them on other wikis) so
it is reasonable to have some level of waiting peroid.
--
geni