[WikiEN-l] (No subject)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 01:58:56 UTC 2006

On 29/03/06, Geoff Burling <llywrch at rdrop.com> wrote:

> It should be a straightforward task for any computer technician to create
> a filter to keep out all of the articles marked [[Category:Sex]],
> [[Category:Porn star]], & even [[Category:Pokemon]], if a school or
> workplace desires. Explicit metatags duplicate information that is
> already part of the article & thus is unneeded -- unless some person
> starts making contributions that confuse this categorization, for example
> adding pictures of naked bodies to articles like [[Triangle]] & [[George
> W. Bush]]. In that case these edits would be vandalism & dealt with
> accordingly.

Smart one. We also have the nice (though oddly motivated) people
who've put together little galleries of all the nekkid pictures on
Wikipedia. It'd be a little tricker, but certainly not impossible, to
come up with on-the-fly page filtering based on the inclusion of those
images, or by sporadically generating Special:Whatlinkshere
references, or something...

This is stuff we're already doing. Regardless of the merits of
actually including filtering aids, tagging images and so on, it might
be worth creatively thinking about how someone can use features
already present in the live version to come up with filtering *at
their end*.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk