[WikiEN-l] Britannica quote of the day (Johntex) (charlesmatthews) (Johntex)

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 28 21:14:34 UTC 2006

"John Tex" wrote

> I disagree that the goal is to get an encyclopedia written.  The goal is
> produce an encyclopedia that is as useful as possible to the biggest set
> of
> people possible.  Taking small steps to make the reference more usable in
> schools and work-places is consistent with that goal.

> Deciding which images might deserve a spoiler warning is no more a
> violation
> of NPOV than deciding what fact is important enough to include, or
> deciding
> what reference is worthy enough to cite.  All of these are judgement
> calls.
> We will continue to debate them for as long as the project is editable, no
> doubt.

The archives of this list will show the continuing consensus in favour of
Getting the Encyclopedia Written, with the smart-aleck ideas that the
process can be fine-tuned falling away in the face of the sheer fact that It
Is Being Written, and its content reflects pretty much a consensus view of
those who are doing the work.

Charles