[WikiEN-l] Britannica quote of the day (Johntex)

John Tex johntexster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 01:39:44 UTC 2006

Censorship is a scare word that does not accurately describe the internal
debate over images.  If hte government tells us not to print something, that
is censorship.   If we decide not to print somethin because of our own
editorial standards, that is not censorship.

If we want Wikipedia to be taken seriously, and to be used as widely as
possible, then we need to hold ourselves to decent editorial standards.
That might mean taking some very small steps such as putting some content
behind a spoiler-like warning.  This way, people know that reading the text
of articles will be school/work-safe, and they can make an informed decision
to view the images so-tagged.

>Regardless of what you call it, the discussion has been held many
>times. There simply isn't anything near consensus for any sort of
>censorship in the community (and it is censorship, don't kid yourself,
>just read the first sentance in [[Censorship]]). The discussion has
>been had, lets just levae it at that.

Johntex