[WikiEN-l] Chatroom libel ruling

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 01:26:27 UTC 2006

G'day Phil,

> On Mar 27, 2006, at 8:14 AM, jayjg wrote:
>
>>I would imagine it would have implications for all countries with
>>legal
>>systems based on British Common Law, which I would think would look
>>at  the
>>ruling in this case when deciding similar cases.
>
> It would depend--the American legal system is based on English common
> law, but American courts rarely, if ever, take into account English
> court precedents after the colonial period. Commonwealth countries
> may still take into account contemporary English precedents, however.

AIUI, that's due to bog-standard insecurity --- "we can't let those
dirty forners tell us what to do!"

The Australian High Court recently (well, fifteen years ago ...) looked
to Zimbabwe and Canada (IIRC) for guidance.  I believe the argument goes
something like: "our law was the same up until X date, therefore ---
barring decisions that drastically change this area of law --- we're
likely to be expected to come to similar conclusions".

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"