[WikiEN-l] Original research

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 27 15:31:12 UTC 2006

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, of course personal communications are not valid to cite.  You can
>> cite reliable published sources.
>
> When they exist, yes. But that is not always the case. Sometimes one must rely on what reputable
> people say vs what they write. I've cited professors whose classes I've taken. Is that wrong?

According to [[WP:V]], absolutely.

A good way to look at the distinction between verifiability and truth is
with the following example. Suppose you are writing a Wikipedia entry on
a famous physicist's Theory X, which has been published in peer-reviewed
journals and is therefore an appropriate subject for a Wikipedia
article. However, in the course of writing the article, you contact the
physicist and he tells you: "Actually, I now believe Theory X to be
completely false." Even though you have this from the author himself,
you cannot include the fact that he said it in your Wikipedia entry.

Why not? Because it is not verifiable in a way that would satisfy the
Wikipedia readership or other editors. The readers don't know who you
are. You can't include your telephone number so that every reader in the
world can call you for confirmation. And even if they could, why should
they believe you?

For the information to be acceptable to Wikipedia you would have to
persuade a reputable news organization to publish your story first,
which would then go through a process similar to peer review. It would
be checked by a reporter, an editor, perhaps by a fact-checker, and if
the story were problematic, it might be checked further by the lawyers
and the editor-in-chief. These checks and balances exist to ensure that
accurate and fair stories appear in the newspaper.