[WikiEN-l] Original research

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:03:01 UTC 2006

Keith D. Tyler wrote:

> [snip]
> What happens if I use as a reference a website that has disappeared in
> the time since I added the information? It then becomes unverifiable.
> Presumably the info, like the website it was sourced from, must disappear?

If you have properly recorded the time at which you accessed the website
(are you using {{cite web}} ?) it is quite simple to construct an automatic
link via the Wayback Machine.

If memory serves, {{dlw}} and {{dlw-inline}} are related to this...yes, they
are. If it proves sufficiently common, it should be possible to adapt the
various {cite ...} templates which all "url" parameters to accommodate an
option to provide a historical link if necessary.

Actually, come to think of it, given that we encourage people to record the
time when they viewed a given URL, it might not be a bad idea to channel
*most* of them through the Wayback Machine so as to link to the state of
said URL when it was used as a reference...

HTH HAND
--
Phil