[WikiEN-l] Personal communications as references

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Mon Mar 27 02:44:40 UTC 2006

> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
>
> --- slimvirgin at gmail.com wrote:
>> On 3/26/06, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Personal communications are valid to cite. All one needs to do to
>>> check is call the guy and
>> ask the same question.
>>
>> All our sources have to be published, Daniel, i.e. in the public
>> domain, so a personal communication can't be cited.
>
> That is absurd since not all knowledge has been written. What
> matters is if you can trust the
> source and if it is verifiable. The method of communication is not
> that important.
>
> -- mav

Citing a personal communication is much better than citing nothing at
all. I have used an email from a representative of Babson College,
for example, on the Babson College Talk page, as a reference for
whether or not their giant world globe rotates. (It was built to
rotated and once rotated but it doesn't now).

But these aren't _good_ references and do _not_ meet Wikipedia's
guidelines, which I believe are longstanding.

The reason why publication is important is that by definition a
published source is widely available and easily checked. As I have
personally found, it is not always easy to "call the guy and ask the
same question."

Among other things, you may not have his contact information. (It
would be a serious breach of etiquette and privacy to include that in
the reference). And you are basically requiring every reader who
wants to verify the information to establish a personal contact with
the source. That's just not reasonable.

Finally, the requirement of publication puts a very rough-and-ready
filter in place. In order to publish something, the author  _usually_
has to convince at least _one_ other person that it is worth
publishing... and spending money on. That's not an absolute test of
truth, but it is at least a filter. Over the phone, someone can say
anything to me that they like. Thus, a personal communication is a
poor reference for the same reason that a personal website is a poor
reference: anyone can say anything they like, without even the
slightest necessity of passing any kind of vetting process. Actually,
a phone call is worse: a personal website is, at least, out in the
open and subject to inspection.