[WikiEN-l] Britannica quote of the day

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 21:13:26 UTC 2006

> On 3/26/06, David Alexander Russell <webmaster at davidarussell.co.uk> wrote:
> > Yeah, I don't see why (for example) Wikipedia articles could not be
> > 'tagged' with ICRA-style PICS labels. These are machine-readable
> > metadata that give information on whether the article contains certain
> > types of content e.g. profanity, nudity, substance abuse, and the
> > 'severity' of that content (e.g. ranging from passionate kissing to
> > close-up explicit sexual acts for the nudity category).
>
> Please provide a titanium hardened defintion of these terms.

Any system we come up with is likely to have some flaws, and is likely
to occasionally fail, when someone deliberately breaks it to shock
unsuspecting youngsters.

I suspect, however, that if we change our motto from "Wikipedia is
uncensored" to "Wikipedia is not guaranteed safe for kids, but we
try", then this would generally be a good thing.

Steve