[WikiEN-l] Britannica quote of the day

David Alexander Russell webmaster at davidarussell.co.uk
Sun Mar 26 20:38:15 UTC 2006

Yeah, I don't see why (for example) Wikipedia articles could not be
'tagged' with ICRA-style PICS labels. These are machine-readable
metadata that give information on whether the article contains certain
types of content e.g. profanity, nudity, substance abuse, and the
'severity' of that content (e.g. ranging from passionate kissing to
close-up explicit sexual acts for the nudity category).

Of course it would require some noticeable software changes, but I don't
see why it couldn't be done on a semi-automatic basis using the category
system. For example, any article put into the 'articles with a nude
image' category (I believe this category already exists) could be tagged
with the appropriate metadata for nudity. It wouldn't be censorship -
all content would still be available to those users who wanted it, but
where a user (or their parents in the case of kids) decides they do not
want to view a particular type of content, this would give them that choice.

Cynical