[WikiEN-l] That other encyclopedia

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 21:59:16 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

Seen this?

http://store.britannica.com/jump.jsp?itemID=114
<http://store.britannica.com/jump.jsp?itemID=114&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=
4&iSubCat=114&sort=1&dpid=14>
&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=114&sort=1&dpid=14

You can get the full Britannica DVD for US$25!

At that sort of price, I'm tempted to get one myself, not least to say
to journalists that I'm not only a fan but I bought a copy ...

And they're clearing this at US$20:

http://store.britannica.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=247
<http://store.britannica.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=247&item
Type=PRODUCT&iProductID=247> &itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=247

Anyone with dreams of a printed Wikipedia 1.0 should look at this and
think how we can get there.

- d.

Well, the first thing we need to do is to figure out where we are,
especially as we have passed the point where we can just say "We have
1,000,000 articles!" and that gives us more weight. From now on, the raw
number is going to matter less and less and our quality is what will become
the yardstick to measure us.

In an often-neglected corner of the project namespace, the
[[Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team]] has quietly been assessing
articles, and has made several lists of articles that are in great shape and
those that need improvement. Since any encyclopedia should have articles
that comprise a "core", several editors have gone through and assessed all
the articles listed on [[Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Core topics]].
There's a few good ones, but there's some that need vast improvement. An
example would be the [[Toy]] article. Now, who would like to publish on
paper an article that looks more like a list than anything else? That's just
a start. All the articles with a "Start" as their assessment are not usable
in Wikipedia 1.0 and need some tender and caring love.

Then there's also independent WikiProjects. All active WikiProjects have now
been contacted, and have been asked for listings of articles that they
consider to be of high quality. The results we have are available at
[[Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/WikiProject full article list]].
However, as you can see, there's still gaps-we need to have some projects
answer, and there's others that we just need to prune. However, the
centralized article list also tells us which projects are active, some of
them dishing out FAs at a constant rate.

That said, this is nowhere even close to being done: there's still quite a
bit of work to do. Look at the lists I've given and those given at
[[Wikipedia:Article assessment]] to look at what's the most urgent to fix.
Better yet, go and help violet/riga with the current topic at
[[Wikipedia:Article assessment/African countries]], as it looks rather
empty. Overall, there's plenty of things to do and too few hands to do it,
and you get the same warm, fuzzy sensation you feel when you're being a
rogue admin...

Titoxd.