[WikiEN-l] Original research

Keith D. Tyler keith at keithtyler.com
Fri Mar 24 17:43:59 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> If reliable sources can't be cited, does that make the information
>> original research?  I mean, I can document periods of my life citing my
>
> Depends what "can't" means. Information that has been published, but
> for which you do not have access to the source, is not original
> research.
>
>> website and other online sources, but those aren't reliable, are they?
>> Therefore I'm creating original research, aren't I?
>
> Arguably yes, but that's more of a collateral damage case than what
> WP:NOR is really trying to prevent. The information would more likely
> be removed for violating WP:V.
>
> (as I understand it)

I have a hard time with the rigidity of NOR. It seems to me that the application
of the current form of NOR is over-paranoid, and misguided, apparently from some
fear of having to back up information. Print or other publication does not imbue
information with validity. Limiting WP sources to published sources has some
serious implication to the goal of being free and open and cataloging all human
knowledge. It presumes that all worthwhile information is published (and
likewise infers that all published information is worthwhile).

To me, "original research" is when I perform an investigative task involving the
scientific or statistical methods to get information that has not been
determined before.

Here's some examples.

1. I drive up to Seattle, and stand outside Boeing Field, and count the number
of planes that fly in and out over the period of a day.

2. I call Boeing Field on the phone and ask them how many planes fly in and out
every day.

3. I find a website, newspaper article, or book about Boeing Field and find the
number.

To me, 1 is clearly OR, and 2 is not. And between 2 and 3, 2 is preferable
because it is assuredly a) a primary source and b) current, which isn't at all
assured with 3.

For some reason, though, contacting an authoritative source is OR, but finding a
book from an authoritative source is not.

KT