[WikiEN-l] Chatroom libel ruling

Gregory Price gprice at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:37:07 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, slimvirgin at gmail.com <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting ruling from the High Court in England, which could have
> implications for our talk  pages.
> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1737001,00.html

Thank goodness American libel laws are less powerful.

The plaintiff indirectly acknowledges this, saying "I considered suing
Yahoo! but their discussion board is hosted in the US and falls
outside UK law."

But certainly if an editor's in the UK and says nasty things
about someone else in the UK, this ruling could be dangerous for them...
well, we can just accept this as putting some teeth behind [[WP:NPA]]. =)

Greg
Gnp