[WikiEN-l] Next step in "fair use" cleanup?

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 22:20:58 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, Sue Reed <sreed1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I could use a little input. I've been working on trying to
> clear out the copyrighted or no source images from pages
> about Olympic athletes.
>
> A user had uploaded an image to the page on Mellisa
> Hollingsworth-Richards, which he sourced as coming from
> TSN.CA (similar to ESPN.com). I marked it for deletion as a
> copyright violation, added it on IfD, sent him a note on
> his talk page, and noted it on the picture. A few minutes
> later, he deleted the picture from the page and uploaded a
> new picture - this one taken directly from CBC.ca (another
> clear copyright violation). I again marked it for deletion
> and followed the other steps.

This is absolutely the right way to do things.

> The user has now referred to me as a ninny on my talk page,
> which I really don't mind all that much. Another user, on
> the IfD page has said that the image should be kept ...
> whether or not it's a copyright violation.

Utter nonsense.

> I could use a little feedback in whether I'm headed in the
> right direction or not, as I frequently run into this very
> same issue on other pages. Uploaders try to claim the
> images as "fair use" even if they're taken directly from a
> copyrighted source.

It's generally unlikely that photos from news websites are fair use,
as the value to the holder is diminished considerably.

Of course, to be fair use it ipso facto must be copyrighted, else we
wouldn't have to claim fair use.

Note IANAL.

--
Sam