[WikiEN-l] Editor's guides

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 19:01:22 UTC 2006

Is there such a thing as editors' guides to specific areas?

For example, the Trinidad and Tobago article attracts people all the time
who add "new" information which is already contained in some subarticle.
They don't expect the level of depth of Trinidad and Tobago articles that
exist, so they just add something that's "missing", probably unaware of what
exists.

It would be nice if there was some way to add an "editors guide" - something
like "Interested in editing articles related to Trinidad and Tobago?  Browse
our articles on the topic".  Yeah, I realise that the "obvious" answer is
"that's what categories are for", but there're two problems with categories
- one is that they are too opaque (there are too many sub-sub-sub
categories) and another is that the category link at the bottom of the page
is too obscure - it's too far down the page and not eye-catching enough.  I
am thinking of something that could go in a box like the Sister Links box
(or in that box).  Something friendly and eyecatching, something aimed at
capturing new editors and pointing them to the type of page they might have
something to add to - or if nothing else, preventing them (maybe) from
adding trivia when we already have a whole article.

Is there anything like this?  Do other people see it as something
potentially useful?

Ian