[WikiEN-l] Next step in "fair use" cleanup?

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:26:13 UTC 2006

--- Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> >> For everything other than self-created pictures, yes. If the uploader
> >> cant produce documentation, delete the image.
> >
> > I don't think that's a good idea. I've uploaded numerous images after
> > negotiating a free license with the copyright holder, for which
> > there is no
> > supporting documentation other than my assertion (barring private
> > emails).
>
> You are supposed to forward such emails to the foundation - there is
> a special
> email address for this. You dont have to post them on the wiki.

Really? I've never heard of this before. It'd be pointless anyway: If I'm
willing to lie when I assert that I've corresponded with someone about
such-and-such a license for an image, what's to stop me from forwarding a
fabricated email exchange to the Wikimedia Foundation?

At some point you have to trust someone. I propose that it's OK to trust
trustworthy Wikipedians.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com