[WikiEN-l] Next step in "fair use" cleanup?

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Fri Mar 24 14:10:02 UTC 2006

Justin Cormack wrote:

> For everything other than self-created pictures, yes. If the uploader
> cant produce documentation, delete the image.

I'd say claimed self-made images are often the worst cases.  If you
can't find a source online, what can you do but trust the uploader?  Or,
even if you do find an online source, how do you know that the uploaded
_isn't_ the creator if the other site doesn't document _its_ sources in
sufficient detail?

Okay, you can choose _not_ to trust the uploader and instead nominate
the image at IFD.  But that's hardly assuming good faith.

For a specific recent example, see [[Image:JP4.jpg]] on enwiki.  Or, for
that matter, [[Image:Teabagging.jpg]] and the ensuing IFD debate at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Images_and_media_for_deletion/2006_January_21

--
Ilmari Karonen