[WikiEN-l] Next step in "fair use" cleanup?

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Fri Mar 24 12:50:06 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

> I'm not sure what a "blatant" copyright violation would be. There's
> always the chance that the copyright owner of any image gave
> permission to Wikimedia to use it - an editor who simply edits the
> article cannot know whether that is true or not.

High-resolution scans of every page of a recently published bestselling
graphic novel?  The current U.S. #1 album as Ogg files?  A full-length
Theora stream of a movie currently in theaters?  A Microsoft Office XP
install CD image, with key?

In general, something that anyone would be expected to recognize
immediately and that no-one could possibly assume to have been released
under a free license without extraordinary evidence.

--
Ilmari Karonen