[WikiEN-l] A Solution to the Image Problem

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Thu Mar 23 04:28:29 UTC 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Mark Wagner wrote:
> Wikipedia's got a problem with images.  2000 of them are uploaded
> every day, and most of them have inadequate source information, an
> incorrect license tag, or an invalid fair-use claim.

I think this is a little premature.  It is really important to remember
that, with our current methods - *The Number Of Untagged Images Is
Going Down*.  The images tagged as lacking source or license info no
longer *have* a backlog(due to the change in CSD policy allowing them
to be deleted, and the hard work of a number of Wikipedians), and the
backlog of Un-tagged images *is going down*.  Not by much; about 300
per day on average, but it *is going down*.

Give us working on the untagged image project time to get the backlog
cleared up, and then we can see the problem more clearly.  Quite
possibly, the rate of new unacceptable images is not too great for us
to handle.  Maybe it is, but the current facts don't seem to show that.

It's also important to note that 95% of the images on the english
wikipedia do have tags (although many may be wrong, it's true).

Jesse Weinstein