[WikiEN-l] User page issue

david at election.demon.co.uk david at election.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 14:56:38 UTC 2006

Speaking as a Briton, albeit one with no strong feelings on either
side of the Irish question, I don't have a particular problem with
Irish nationalism. I might have a problem if User:Fenian Swine's user
page said "Up the 'Ra!" or something like that but it doesn't.

"Fenian" is an English corruption of the Irish word for soldier.
However this word has already been incorporated into the largest
Irish Republic political party, Fianna Fail ("Soldiers of Destiny"
in translation) and the term has become somewhat antiquated as the
original Fenians were operating in the mid-19th century.

I think when considering a politically POV username, regard should
also be had to the user's edits. If the user is in constant trouble
for highly POV editing then it's more appropriate to ask for a name
change, but that does not appear to be the case here.

David Boothroyd
[[en:User:Dbiv]]