[WikiEN-l] User page issue

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 12:21:36 UTC 2006

On 21/03/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Arwel Parry <arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I agree too, I raised my eyebrows when I first saw "Fenian Swine" appear
> > last year, but mainly because I would consider it a highly derogatory
> > term that some British people might use about the Irish, not the other
> > way round.
>
> That doesn't really matter, does it? We wouldn't accept any user
> calling themselves a name with the famous "n bomb" (rhymes with
> trigger...), regardless of whether they were a black American.
>
> Steve

I really do not think Fenian is remotely on a par with that n-word. Unless
one is from Northern Ireland. Even so, I suspect despite crying foul at
those who label Republicans with such a term, many Republicans are probably
proud to be called such.

Fenian has been used repeated as a self-describing term at various times in
history, right up to the present day, and with some pride too.

"Fenian Swine" is really more an ironic username than anything else in so
far as I can see.

Perhaps the only people really offended are those from the country whose
citizens use that term in a derogatory fashion, or those ignorant of the
term and just vaguely aware of some links with a derogation?

Just some thoughts as an Irishman.

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...