[WikiEN-l] Primary sources

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 09:35:30 UTC 2006

"Ben McIlwain" <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:441F19FC.3010801 at gmail.com...
> Fastfission wrote:
>> True, but I think one should consult secondary sources *first* for our
>> project, and primary sources *second*. You cannot consult a primary
>> source without an interpretative framework, and you should be deriving
>> that from a secondary source, in my interpretation of [[WP:NOR]].
[snip]
> Strongly agreed.  I'm doing mediation right now on some Islamic-related
> articles and one of the disputants is sourcing everything directly from
> the Quran :-(

Well...IFF the dispute is over what the Quran says on a certain subject,
then this is entirely justified.

OTOH interpreting the Quran seems to be a full-time job for near enough
every single Muslim, so if they're arguing over interpretation, they need to
be sourcing those different interpretations.

I know we have the Quran at Wikisource: do we have the various
interpretations that have appropriate licences also?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]