[WikiEN-l] Captcha word quiz

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 03:54:37 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Mak <makwik at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...continuing masturbatory tech talk....
> What kind of audio captchas have people tried? I would think that asking
> people to identify a piece of music would be a pretty good captcha, although
> could be difficult to not make it Eurocentric. For instance, if you had a
> bunch of songs as universally recognisable as, say happy birthday, and then
> had a bunch of different recordings of those, it would be extraordinarily
> difficult for a computer to recognise the piece, since it could be in any
> key, in any tuning, with slight rhythmic diffences, but would still be
> recognisable to anyone who knew the piece. Yes, you would have to figure out
> what pieces to use and get the recordings, but it would still be cool. Of
> course, Carnildo/Mark's workaround would still be there.
> Makemi

Forget eurocentric I suspect you would hit anglocentric. The number of
tunes known to everyone is so small the computer could just enter the
same answer every time and and get an account soon enough. Initialy
you could just use plain speach and rely on the issue that no one else
uses them so no one is going to bother makeing a bot. More advanced
aproaches could involve spoting male and female voices against
background noise.

--
geni