[WikiEN-l] Interlanguage Links - The Interwiki-Link-Checker

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:07:47 UTC 2006

"Steve Bennett" <stevage at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:f1c3529e0603200617x7c05c5f2n9671e14bfa4c753a at mail.gmail.com...
> On 3/20/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I spent last night interwiki-ing Norwegian and Catalan, of all things...
>
> I haven't tried this tool, but is it smart enough to know that if
> en.foo links to fr.foo, and fr.foo links to ca.foo, then en.foo should
> link to ca.foo? Otherwise this problem seems like a massive amount of
> manual intervention...

That's a later stage of the process.

This particular tool is to allow human intervention to ensure that
[[en:foo]] and [[fr:foo]] are actually about the same "foo", and similarly
for [[ca:foo]].

I'm doing the "de-en" set at the moment, and there are quite a few cases
where the two articles, despite having the same name, are radically
different.

The usual reason is that there are a good many things called "foo", all of
which probably appear on [[foo (disambiguation)]] or the equivalent.
However, different languages have their own ideas about which of those many
instances of "foo" should get the main article of that name.

HTH HAND
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]