[WikiEN-l] Captcha word quiz

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 13:18:08 UTC 2006

Theresa Knott wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/20/06, Theresa Knott <theresaknott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry i thought a catchpa was a wiggly word  _image_.  What I am
>>> descirbing could easily be text.
>>>
>> Invent one then ;) Bear in mind that if it's multiple choice, then the
>> robot could just have a few goes.
>>

> A colour that's the opposite of black
>
> the number of days in a week
>
> A pet animal that goes woof woof.

Unfortunately, Googling and word-counting is a rather powerful way of
cheating at these sorts of simple general-knowledge questions:

Searching for "animal that goes woof woof". removing trivial words from
the page fragments Google returns on its search page, and then counting
the most common remaining words gives the following:

43: woof
9: animal
8: dog
7: goes
6: joke

for "colour that's the opposite of black" we get:

21: colour
10: black
6: opposite
6: white
5: you

If you then try the words which are not in the question, the highest
rated few words tend to contain the answer to the question. Even if we
try at random from the top-rated words, there's a good chance of
success, which is all a bot needs.

-- Neil