[WikiEN-l] Interlanguage Links - The Interwiki-Link-Checker

mdangers marcdangers at gmx.de
Mon Mar 20 10:41:20 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray schrieb:
> On 10/03/06, Marc Dangers <marcdangers at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> This articles have been listed for many language combinations by
>> de:user:SirJective. But not all articles with identical names are about
>> the same subject, so human work is needed to decide whether an
>> Interwiki-Link can be automatically inserted by a bot. In order to make
>> this decision easy and comfortable, there is a brilliant tool called
>> Interwiki-Link-Checker written by de:Benutzer:Flacus.
>
> This is pretty fun (and surprisingly easy to do, even if you speak
> neither language - it's amazing how quickly you can guess if two
> articles are on the same topic, assuming you have even a passing grasp
> of the alphabet or vocabulary...). But dear goodness, it's *slow*...
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

Regarding the slowness, in general the tool itself appears to be fast
enough for me, most of the time. I actually use it without being logged
in, so I suppose the Dutch Proxies are my friends and I get lots of
cached pages.
"Guessing" unknown languages is lots of fun, if you know at least one
germanic and one romanic language, you can grasp quite a lot of meaning.
My ability to understand swedish and norwegian is probably comparable to
a 1.6 year old native speaker, that's enough for me ;-).
Thanks for trying it,
Marc Dangers
de:Mdangers