[WikiEN-l] User page issue

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:51:18 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Could somebody who is not British (and therefore the target of this
> user's ire) please review this user page for me:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Fenian_Swine
>
> I think it violates a few policies and sundry guidelines (including,
> arguably, user naming) but being British I can't really call myself
> unbiased here, and even if I were I can't go along and say anything
> without merely reinforcing his prejudices.

I don't actually find it particularly offensive. This seems to be the
strongest it gets: "I hate the term British Isles. English people
should get over themselves. They no longer have an empire to speak of
and hopefully Scotland and Wales will leave the empire."

Seems like he's just stating his political beliefs, which are not
particularly extreme, and don't call for killing anyone. He even has
some nice words "Even if you're 100% sure that someone is a worthless,
no-good, low-down scum-sucking Internet troll, vandal, or worse,
conduct yourself as if they're not. By being calm, interested, and
respectful, your dignity is uplifted, and you further our project.This
an official policy of Wikipedia in relation to all but especially me."

What exactly do you object to?

Steve