[WikiEN-l] Captcha word quiz

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Mon Mar 20 03:33:51 UTC 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2006 at 14:42, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:
>
>> You have images turned off in your browser? Are you using Netscape
>> 4.7 or something?
>>
>> There are many important features waiting for our developers to
>> implement. Supporting 1990's era web browsing is not one of them. I
>> suggest you use a modern browser to browse Wikimedia sites in the
>> future.
>
> Wikipedia is the last site I'd expect to be telling people "Get a
> better browser, loser!"

That's because we don't use AJAX or Flash or anything extravagant
like that, and if we did, we'd have other ways to use the site. We
ask so little.

> Anyway, Firefox and the Mozilla/SeaMonkey Suite, to name a couple of
> fully modern browsers, offer the configuration option to disable
> images.

Do they offer the option to turn them back on again? Even
selectively, so you can right-click on an image and choose to load
it? If so, captchas should be no problem. In fact, captchas should be
no problem even in Netscape 4.7 because as I recall, Netscape always
had that feature.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch