[WikiEN-l] Primary sources

Mak makwik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 06:05:21 UTC 2006

I've been struggling with this a bit myself. I have to disagree with
MacGyver, I think primary sources definitely play a role in good
encyclopedic writing. For instance, the use of quotes from a published play
could easily be useful in an article about that play. In this case the
primary source would be easily verifiable and useful, so it's complex.

I try to only use primary sources to back up opinions found in secondary
sources. Don't use a bunch of primary sources to come to a conclusion which
is not supported in your secondary sources, since this definitely becomes
original research. An example of where I've tried to do this is in [[Hymn to
St. Cecilia]], where I quote from /published/ primary source material to
support views expressed in other secondary sources.
Makemi