[WikiEN-l] When Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 license makes sense

KWH k.w.harris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 21:49:04 UTC 2006

It seems to me that if the new work does not "transform" or combine
the CC-ND work with other creative material, then it is not a
derivative, but a redistribution, which is allowed by the license. The
license can make its definition of derivative a subset of the
copyright code definition, but it can't expand it to include things
which would normally be defined as redistribution.

I don't think it intends to because although the derivative work
definition includes "...any other form in which the Work may be
recast, transformed, or adapted...", a latter bit of the license
allows that the "...above rights may be exercised in all media and
formats whether now known or hereafter devised.", therefore it does
not intend to disclaim non-creative transformations. I would say that
a resize would always be allowed, a cropping might be subject to
interpretation depending on whether it was a "creative" cropping.

I think a decent "acid test" for derivative is whether, if the given
transformation were applied to an already public domain work, it would
merit a new copyright protection for the new work created.

[[User:Kwh]]