[WikiEN-l] Captcha word quiz

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Mar 19 03:07:48 UTC 2006

G'day Phil,

> On Mar 15, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Dan Jacobson wrote:
>
>>Regarding http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special:Captcha/help :
>>it says "Please contact the site administrators for assistance if this
>>is unexpectedly preventing you from making legitimate posts." but
>>doesn't have a button to do so.
>>
>>Anyway, e.g., I have images turned off in my browser, so come up with
>>a word quiz.
>>
>>Hmm, wikibooks not wikipedia? OK sorry.
>
> You have images turned off in your browser? Are you using Netscape
> 4.7 or something?

Alternatively, he could be on dial-up.  Or he could be emotionally
scarred from the *many* times over the past year that Wikipedia pages
have stalled in loading because images wouldn't download.  Or he could
simply like browsing text-only, and really, who can blame him?

> There are many important features waiting for our developers to
> implement. Supporting 1990's era web browsing is not one of them. I
> suggest you use a modern browser to browse Wikimedia sites in the
> future.

We strive to include everyone, regardless of their intentions:
neo-Nazis, paedophiles, corporate propagandists, physics kooks, road
warriors, LaRouche tragics, Randroids, trolls, even Tories.  But people
using set-ups that differ from that of Phil Welch, well ... obviously
*they're* up to no good and need to be squashed.

You need to approach Wikipedia in good faith, and the best way to
establish that faith is to browse with Firefox.  It's the choice of Phil
Welch, Mark Gallagher, and Willy on Wheels!

Firefox!  It's what's for dinner.

--
Mark Gallagher,  who used to be an elitist Lynx-using asshole on Linux