[WikiEN-l] a few words on sources

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 03:30:23 UTC 2006

Just a quick note on sources--some of them are in the public domain, and,  if
possible, can be added to Wikisource with the link {{wikisourcepar|XXX}}.

Some of us have begun doing this with EB1911 articles, and I have started
looking for first person US civil war accounts in newspapers and magazine from
that period. Oral histories, while not always reliable, add considerably to
our  understanding of the period, and are a great way to learn history. It can
also  be extremely beneficial to students using Wikipedia to be able to click
to a  newspaper article from the period being studied, which can be easily
cited.  Furthermore, the amount of detail that these articles give, along with the
 anecdotal accounts, enrich our own articles considerably. And finally, they
often have great public domain illustrations.

Tonight I added _http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Admiral_David_D._Porter_
(http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Admiral_David_D._Porter)  with  a link from [[David
D. Porter]]. The image that goes along with this is  forthcoming. Personally,
I think it is a nice addition to the article, with all  kinds of information
that we do not have. I encourage others to find similar  articles for other
events (the sinking of the Titanic, as reported in the NY  Times, for instance,
or various battles of World War I, election-related  editorials, book reviews
of classic works as they were published, etc.) to  really enrich the Wikipedia
experience.

Danny