[WikiEN-l] Help me!

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 17 14:09:42 UTC 2006

>> It may be utterly useless garbage, but how is it a copyvio?  I was
>> under the impression that non-creative lists of facts (of which I
>> think this is an example) weren't eligible for copyright.
>
> It is sorted. For example sorting the books into a "Handheld
> computing" section is argubly creative.

Guy Chapman already made this point, but it's worth repeating:
that "arguably creative" work was evidently done by the
publisher, not us.

The claim has been made (and I have no reason to doubt it) that
all 46k of that article was cut-and-pasted from the publisher's
website.

My own opinion is that, as a general rule, any time you
cut-and-paste that much information from someone else's work,
it's probably wrong.  It may not be wrong because it's a
copyright violation per se, but it's probably wrong all the
same.  Just the fact that you're thinking of cutting and pasting
that much information can serve as a simple alarm bell saying
"I probably shouldn't do this."

					Steve Summit
					[[User:Ummit]]
					scs at eskimo.com