[WikiEN-l] Primary sources

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 09:50:28 UTC 2006

--- MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Primary sources are hard if not impossible to verify. Don't use them.

Depends on the topic, I think. Lots of Wikipedia articles survive by citing
sources from contemporary news articles, for example. I'm not sure the
primary/secondary source distinction is particularly useful for us. I'd argue
we need only to make sure that A) the source can be verified to say what it's
claimed to say; B) we can have some reasonable basis to believe the source is
trustworthy; and C) we don't add any additional interpretation of our own
beyond what the source says.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com