[WikiEN-l] more WP:OFFICE shenanigans

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:39:28 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I find Jimbo's actions on
> [[en:Justin Berry]] so disturbing.  I have no problems banning a user
> (either entirely, or from certain types of articles) if they can't edit
> neutrally; I have no problems reverting their non-neutral edits and
> removing inaccurate/slanted information; and so on.  A blanket
> prohibition on any text ever touched by the user being in the article,
> though---even going so far as to insist that their neutral contributions
> be independently rewritten by someone else---seems to be a bit of a
> witch-hunt.  Is there a legitimate reason for it besides fear that some
> jackass in the media is going to say "lol wikipedia lets pedophiles edit
> articles relating to pedophilia"?  Self-identified Satanists who've
> edited [[en:Satanism]] had better hope the U.S. media doesn't have a
> recurrence of its 1990s moral panic over Satanism!

Not a very good comparison, that; how about, say, self-identified
members of Stormfront editing [[Simon Wiesenthal]]?

Which is not to say that it would be completely impossible for them to
edit that article in a neutral fashion.  But AGF doesn't mean being
hopelessly naive; when the presumption of ulterior motives -- and
highly malicious ones, at that -- is so strong as to require that even
superficially neutral and well-referenced edits be exhaustively
verified, it seems easier for everyone just to not have the individual
editing the article in question at all.

Kirill Lokshin