[WikiEN-l] When Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 license makes sense

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:41:17 UTC 2006

The definition of "derivative" in the license seems to refer to only
very "large" derivatives (i.e., translating it into another language)
rather than small modifications. But I agree that the notion of a
derivative work is vague enough to make me uncomfortable. For example,
syncing music to a moving image is explicitly a "derivative work" in
this instance, which seems to imply that you can't use a no-deriv work
as part of another work, which would seem to rule out the idea of
taking an image from Wikipedia and using it practically anywhere else.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.5/legalcode :

"Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work
and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical
arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version,
sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any
other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted,
except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be
considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the
avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound
recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a
moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the
purpose of this License.

FF