[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 14 04:13:15 UTC 2006

The Cunctator wrote:

>On 3/13/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Delirium wrote:
>>

>>>How can we talk about things on a mailing list of we aren't allowed to
>>>use words and phrases?
>>>

>>Nobody's denying you the ability to use words and phrases. I'm pointing
>>out that these words and phrases are being used as rhetoric, and that
>>insisting other people should agree to and adopt your rhetoric is
>>counterproductive.
>>

>1) He never insisted that other people should agree to and adopt your rhetoric.
>2) You're misusing the word rhetoric.
>3) Contrary to your above claim, Jimbo wrote "Current policy does not
>let anyone go "over the head" of editors and the Wikimedia Foundation
>does not deal with them in a "top-down manner"." That is, he flatly
>denied Delirium's words.

Not Jimbo's best moment, and it was followed up by an apology for his
tone. Still, I consider that a denial that Delirium's characterization
is accurate, as might be expected given Jimbo's position. Not a denial
of Delirium's ability or freedom to make such a characterization, which
would be a more serious concern.

>The only thing that Delirium has been insisting on is his right to use
>that language himself -- not that others have to agree lock, stock and
>barrel to it.

Well, that's not how I understood this message in particular:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-March/041721.html

Wherein Delirium calls Jimbo's response "blatantly counterfactual" and
with his insistent questioning, seems to indicate that there's no
alternative but to adopt his characterization. If that's an
overinterpretation on my part, and he's willing to agree that other
people can legitimately see these events as not "going over the head" of
editors and operating in a "top-down manner", then I would be glad to
hear it.

--Michael Snow