[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Mar 11 21:14:53 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Mostly, when people call us on the phone with a beef, quiet upset, they
>are not complaining about a neutral presentation of the facts.  They are
>upset because someone has written a one-sided hack job.   Often it is
>*not* libel, but just bad writing.
>
>What should we do in such a case?  Well, our fundamental goal *as a
>community* is to write a really great encyclopedia.  Being jerks toward
>people who have their feelings hurt *and* who know nothing about how we
>operate, does not strike me as a very useful way to respond.
>
>Rather, we should respond quickly and politely to their concerns,
>including in most cases, *blanking or deleting the article* and
>*starting over*, being *extremely* careful as a community to get all the
>facts right, to strike a fair and neutral tone, and to cite sources even
>more extensively than normal.

I was with you until this last paragraph, which seems to be so far off
the mark as to be ludicrous.

What we should do, of course, is what we always do.  Someone should tell
us *what* the complaints are, and we should fix the article.  Blanking
and deleting the article should only be the done in the most extreme
cases where there is absolutely nothing useful or salvageable about it.

I feel the current policy is striking a strong bias against criticism of
political figures in proportion to how much money and time they have to
get staff to complain to us.  Some Chinese leader?  Sure, criticize
him.  But Harry Reid?  Hands off!

-Mark