[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 18:33:11 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>>Without commenting on those particular references - Not all references are equal. Just >because somebody publishes a completely wrong and biased fact somewhere else does >not give us an OK to cite that information.
>>

>Depends who published it. [[Killian documents]] seems to exist.

Because the publication itself turned out to be notable, but their
contents should not be cited as fact in Wikipedia. It's not pertinent to
the issue that we can't republish libel and excuse it by citing the
libel to another source.

>However WP:OFFICE actions seem desighned to maximise the number of
>people who threaten to sue us.

Most people who threaten to sue us likely are not aware of what has
happened when people contacted the Foundation about previous unrelated
problems. The threats are a function of our visibility and publicity
about things like the Seigenthaler article, and even then the vast
majority probably believe it's the news coverage that made us delete it.

Quite the contrary, office actions are designed to *minimize* the number
of people who *actually* sue us.

--Michael Snow