[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 11 17:32:35 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> /Temp exists for such purposes. Outright blanking is pretty much
> garenteeded to be reverted.

Weird, I agreed with everything Geni just wrote. :) Requiring an article
to be rewritten from the ground up when there's nothing actually _wrong_
with it, or at least nothing that a little editing can't fix, is silly.
A lot of these articles that get complaints from their subjects have
been the subject of a great deal of editor work and I think it's far
better to be considered a "jerk" by the subject of the article than by
the editors that wrote it and the readers who read it.

Ideally neither, of course - if the subject is tossing about legal
threats and such a temporary blanking might be in order while that gets
sorted out (_not_ temporary deletion - deletion is not a good way to
"store" material out of sight for later use, as I've ranted about
previously). But it must be dealt with in a timely manner and explained
thoroughly and transparently to the people working on the article
itself. A while back I restored Harlan Ellison's article several months
after Jimbo had blanked it because there'd been no indication of any
work being done on the dispute with Ellison since that time, not even
after I asked for an update on Jimbo's talk page. I don't think it'd be
appropriate to block me for taking such action today.