[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Image tagging followup

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 20:09:58 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> Mark Wagner wrote:
>

> >Untagged images: 67 of 500 images had no templates whatsoever on them.  Less
> >than half that number had been tagged as "no source" or "no license".  I get
> >the feeling that the image-tagging project is falling behind here.
> >
> We're still catching up! People are crunching lists going back to
> last summer, not what was uploaded yesterday. 67 untagged per day
> is easily dealt with in an hour, if those are the only images needing
> tagging. Another proposal is to autoschedule new untagged uploads
> for deletion.

There were 1866 images uploaded on that day.  I only checked about
quarter of them, so it's actually around 250-300 untagged images.  I
could certainly modify OrphanBot to tag images with a blank image
description page as "no source", but if there's content on the image
description page (which is true for most of them), it takes a human to
tell the difference between {{no license}} and {{GFDL-presumed}}.

> >4) Tags that are not in the upload menu are almost always used correctly.
> >
> Certainly an argument for dropping the menu...

I don't know about that.  If you want to use something that's not in
the menu, it means two things: (1) you care enough to want the image
to be tagged correctly, and (2) you know enough to realize that the
tag you want isn't in the menu.  Getting rid of the menu won't make
this true for more people.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]