[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Image tagging followup

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 10 19:53:36 UTC 2006

Stan Shebs wrote:

> I'm not sure that review changes liability, it can be pointed to as a
> good-faith effort to do things correctly. All the empirical evidence
> so far is that we're much more picky about fair use than just about
> everybody else online, after all nobody seems to be shutting down the
> giant celebrity galleries from which many of our images are copied.
> WP's angst about fair use is internally generated.

I think the angst is generated with concern to commercial reusers.  The
line that has been discussed with me, or at least my understanding of
that line, is that Wikipedia's value to commercial reusers drops if they
have to evaluate all fair use images.  What value there is to wikipedia
in having commercial reusers isn't, now I comne to think of it, fully
explained.  If we're releasing this stuff GFDL then we can't be getting
paid by commercial reusers, can we?  Or do we instead receive generous
donations from commercial reusers?

Steve block