[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Image license tags

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Wed Mar 8 18:12:39 UTC 2006

Kat Walsh wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The "CopyrightedFreeUseProvidedThat" tag is a problem: of the seven images
>>so tagged, two of them had decidedly non-free "provided that" clauses,
>>forbidding modification and commercial use.
>
> This holds with what I've seen... the majority of the
> "CopyrightedFreeUseProvidedThat" images that I've seen are not free
> (some are "provided that this image not be used for commercial use"!)
> -- enough so that I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get rid of the
> template altogether and ask the copyright holders of the other images
> to license under CC-BY.

A similar situation existed with the plain "CopyrightedFreeUse" tag due
to its vague wording, which is why I've been gradually deprecating it
and recommending the more explicit "NoRightsReserved" tag instead.  The
"...ProvidedThat" tag at least has the virtue that we _know_ anything
tagged with it has extra conditions that need to be checked.

Perhaps we should add a "CopyrightedFreeUseWithAttribution" tag to cover
the most common legitimate case, and then go through the rest with a
fine comb?  Not sure what such a tag would gain over CC-BY, though,
except that some people may simple be categorically opposed to CC.

--
Ilmari Karonen